Friends of Governor Dodge - Equestrians
***** Special Announcements *****
100EW: Launch of New Fundraising Campaign!
100 Extraordinary Women is a national organization that empowers women to join together to support causes they believe in and create a bigger impact than they could on their own. Through this online giving campaign 100 Extraordinary Women donate or pledge $1,000 to the Friends of Governor Dodge - Equestrian capital campaign. Your gift can be a one time donation or pledges can be made over 5 years.
$16.67/month or $200/year or one time gift of $1,000
100 donations = $100,000
Men can donate in honor or in memory of a woman who is important to them. Women can form groups and give a gift together, e.g., family members, sisters, bowling teams, books clubs. These extraordinary women will receive special, permanent recognition at the future equestrian campground at Governor Dodge State Park.
Find out more/donate visit :
- Awarded $20,000 Knowles Nelson Grant for Trailside Picnic Shelter
- Awarded $3,000 for Trailside Picnic Shelter from the WI Horse Council Trails
- Additional trees donated and planted
- NEW Equestrian CAMPGROUND OPENS!
- 2022 Treasure Hunt and Raffle brings in approximately $8,700 for "Raise the Roof" campaign for Picnic Shelter to complete the new campground
- Successful "Pens for Ponies" campaign puts TWO 12 x 12 Priefert pens on each campsite
- Group firepit area added with commemorative bricks
- Bingo Day and Bonus Gift totaling $3023 Takes Us Across Finish Line for $25,000 match!
- Awarded Friends of WI State Parks Outstanding Friends Group Hero Award
- "Focus on the Future" Fundraiser raised over $11,300
- Contract signed with Rule Construction! Construction began March of 2021 (Phase II). Expected occupancy date of May 1, 2022
- Awarded $20,000 Knowles Nelson Stewardship Match Grant for Phase III
- Awarded $3,954 Grant from the David and Joyce Weizenicker Fund for State Parks
- Awarded $12,480 Max Incentive Grant from the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks
- "Dig In" Match raised $42,220.31 for total of $84.440.62 !!!
- "Ride On" Fundraiser raised $12,000
- Established $15,000 Endowment Fund with the Natural Resources Foundation of WI for FOGDSP Equestrians
- Awarded $2,000 Alliant Energy Foundation grant
- Awarded $45,000 Federal Recreational Trails Program Match Grant
- Awarded $20,000 Knowles Nelson Stewardship Match Grant
- Awarded $2,300 trail grant from Wisconsin Horse Council
- Raffle January-April Raised $13,000
- Awarded WI Horse Council Trails grants totaling $6,000.
- Hired Rule Excavating of Dodgeville, WI to install vault toilet and make improvements at Trail Head parking area.
- "Just for Fun" Events held in Dodgeville: February Glass Painting & Pizza and March Saddle Cleaning
- Awarded $20,000 Knowles Nelson Match Grant for vault toilet
- Raised awareness with booth at Midwest Horse Fair April 12-14
- Awarded Special Achievement Award by WI Horse Council
- Installed vault toilet at day ride area which will also service future equestrian campground (Phase I)
- Hosted Dodgeville 5:01 Chamber of Commerce/ VIP event at park
- Netted over $12,000 at annual June Poker Ride/Hike and silent auction.
- Hosted Share the Trails Event - 250 Park users learned how to safely share the trails with horses.
- Launched 100 Extraordinary Women Fundraising Campaign
- Continued meeting with DNR
- Hired Ayres & Associates for campground plan revisions
- Final campground plan chosen
- Planning for major capital campaign begins.
- Hosted June Poker Ride and Silent Auction Fundraiser
- Hosted "Share the Trails" Open house/Ice Cream Social
- Awarded GuideStar GOLD Seal of Transparency
- "Rise to the Challenge" initiative nets over $54, 000.
- New signage installed on all Governor Dodge trails. Two new mounting blocks installed. Maple Grove picnic stop created on long Driftless Trail (formerly known as Outer Loop) All thanks in part to grant from WI Horse Council
- Conducted feasibility study of campground plans
- Continued Meeting with DNR
- Hosted June Poker Ride Fundraiser
- Hosted August “Share the Trails” Open House/Ice Cream Social
- DNR provided first round of concept plans for new campground based on our “wish list”
- Hosted June Scavenger Hunt Fundraiser
- Hosted August Horsin’ Around Kids Camp
- We became Equestrian Committee under Friends of Governor Dodge State Park
- Group formed with a goal of seeing trail improvements and a new campground at Governor Dodge State Park
- Met with DNR many times
- Hosted June Scavenger Hunt Fundraiser
- Hosted August Horsin’Around Kids Camp
Governor Dodge State Park is located just north of Dodgeville in the unique Driftless Area of southwestern Wisconsin. The Friends of Governor Dodge State Park is a 501(c)3 charitable organization whose mission is to support recreation, education and environmental stewardship at the park. As the equestrian committee of the Friends, we serve as a great resource for both horse enthusiasts and the park.
Since forming in 2015, our committee has completed many trail enhancements including new trail location signage, a rest stop/picnic area on the long Driftless Trail, and a new vault toilet "comfort stop" at the trailhead adjoining the future campground. We have presented annual Share the Trails educational programs and have hosted community events.
Thanks to the efforts of the Friends of Governor Dodge and the generosity of hundreds of supporters, a beautiful new 20-site equestrian campground opened last season at Governor Dodge State Park! The campground is truly a “dream come true” for equestrians. During the first season, it was enjoyed by many “happy campers”, as it will continue to offer a quality equestrian camping experience for generations to come. In 2023 we hope to "Raise the Roof" on a trailside picnic shelter that will serve campers and park users along the Driftless Trail.
Supporting Recreation, Education and Environmental Stewardship
at Governor Dodge State Park